Some questions prepared by your colleagues.
I take no credit or blame for errors or misspellings. I types 'em as I gets 'em!
- What is the main reason that people are worried about endangered species?
a) religious reasons b) medicinal reasons c) aesthetic reasons d) age of loneliness
- What are some logical reasons for the world to come to an end?
- particle accelerator mishap, alien invasion, divine intervention
- mass insanity, robots takeover, nanotechnology disaster
- collapse of the vacuum, biotech disaster
- global warming, global epidemics, asteroid impact
- In Emma's case, what was her physical effect that she had as a result of being a hermaphrodite?
- born with a penis and the rest of her chromosomes classes her as a female
- she had one testicle, no vaginal opening, and an enlarged urethral hole located where a vagina would be
- fallopian tubes and a penis
- Many animals are becoming extinct. What is the major reason that this is happening?
- can't adapt to different climates
- low food supply
- What country was Ru 486 first approved in?
a) China b) England c) France d) Europe
- What hormone does Ru486 block?
- Heterozygous b) progesterone c) mifepristone d) homozygous
- How many sets of chromosomes does a diploid organism have?
a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4
- How many weeks does it take to reproduce red blood cells after you have given blood?
a) 2 b) 4 c) 6 d) 8
- What is the estimated number of genes that a human being has?
a) 23 b) 46 c) 69 d) 100,000
- What is it called when both testes don't descend into the scrotum?
a) synapsis b) cryptorchidism c) karyotype d) translocation
- When chromosomes are close enough together to exchange information, this is called . . .
a) meiosis b) anaphase c) cytokinesis d) synapsis
- If you have more than one cell line in your body, you are a/an
a) hermaphrodite b) karyotype c) mosaic d) asexual
- Up until how many weeks after the woman is pregnant can she take the RU486 pill?
a) 6 weeks b) 7 weeks c) 8 weeks d) 5 weeks
- The technique used to spread out pieces of DNA in a particular pattern is called
a) restriction enzyme b) gel electrophoresis c) PCR d) chromatin
15. What is non-disjunction?
- failure of chromosome to separate properly at anaphase
- when chromosomes collide
- a normal child
- a fetus
- Which presidential candidate opposes the new abortion pill, Ru486?
a) Bush b) Gore c) Reno d) Ford
- RU-486 is a _____, a drug that causes a spontaneous abortion to occur by blocking the production of the hormone progesterone.
a) blood-thinner b) intra-uterine device c) abortifacient d) steroid
18. The uneven distribution of chromosomes during cell division which results in birth defects of infants is known as
a) translocation b) karyotype c) androgen insensitivity syndrome d) non-disjunction
- The bacterium that acts as a pathogen for the contraction of the condition known as Hansen's Disease is called _______.
- Mycobacterium leprae
- Simian immune deficiency virus
- A zygote with the sex chromosome configuration of _____ can not develop.
a) XO b) XY c) XXY d) YO
- Which of the following is correct?
- RU486 is a large dose of birth control medicine taken to prevent pregnancy.
- RU 486 will be available as an over the counter drug.
- RU486 will only be prescribed under a doctor's care and before the 7th week of gestation
- RU486 is not legal in the US
- What is the shorthand used to indicate a female born with Down's Syndrome?
a) 47, XX, +21 b) 46, XX c) 45, XY, -21 d) mos 45, X/47. XXX
- When a zygote implants in the fallopian tube, it known as
a) IUD b) mesoprostal cyotec c) abortifacient d) ectopic pregnancy
- When three #21 chromosomes are present, it is known as
a) monosomy b) amniocentesis c) trisomy d) mosaic
- How does RU486 abort a pregnancy?
- by not letting the egg be ovulated
- by blocking off the fallopian tube
- by not letting the walls of the verginia to build up and therefore ejaculation of the zygote occurs
- sperm is not allowed to swim up the fallopian tube.